Sunday, 18 December 2016

COTD 16/12/2016: Beary Big Belly

Beloved Pointer, Bigbelly

AUTO (VC): Success 25000
CONT (VC) Generation Break 2: All of your Units with the Success Ability gain Power+4000. If you have no Rear-guards, all of the cards in your hand gain “Cont [Hand]: When you pay the cost of [Stride], this card gains Grade+1.”.
AUTO (VC): [Counter Blast 1] During your turn, when your G Unit [Stride]s, you can pay the cost. If you pay it, choose up to 1 card from your hand with the Success ability, Call it to (RC). Choose 1 of your Rear-guards, during that turn, you can have it gains Power+4000. If it gains Power+4000, when that turn ends, draw 1 card, then Retire that Unit.



I'm honestly out of my depth of understanding to decide if this guy is good or bad, but he looks good and appears to be an improvement on his past form.

His Gen Break 2 is interesting in as far as it is actually two skills in one. One of these you're hoping your never going to use as you will be looking to maintain pressure with stride, coincidentally the second part of the same ability helps with exactly that rendering the skill rather obsolete. More strides means more triple drives means more pressure which is all good unless you're decking out but doesn't define Great Nature so I can say already this is a good card relative of it's clan. BUT there's a catch. For that 2nd skill which is the best skill on this card in my opinion, I realise I said opinion I'm sorry, there's that restriction of needing no rearguards. But look at it this way- it adds to Great Nature's recovery capabilities, but it can also be worked around so that it never exists.

Now for the harder skill for me to review, and here's why, it is by itself mediocre but Great Nature is a combo ramp deck so it has to be looked at as a part of the whole and since I don't know the Big Belly deck very well I don't fully understand how it plays.

Here's what I can say with certainty by reflecting on the first Big Belly we received, this isn't an upgrade but rather an alternative. In exchange for granting power to one unit you get a draw for sure, but that unit is retired. A net 0 solo but since the deck is combo ramp that's not the full story. Bigbelly the first grants power to two units given both on-hit +1's thus applying pressure, and those units aren't retired at end of turn.

As an outsider looking in the first Bigbelly appeals more as a useful card but as I stress when it comes to this clan in particular I'm rather ignorant so don't take my word for law, think of it more as the kid sitting at the back of the classroom ignoring the teacher.

P.S. I would have had this done sooner but I've not had time to sit on my laptop this weekend.