Friday, 18 March 2016

V-Talks: From Player to Orginiser

Yes I mean this.
So over the past few weeks I've played Wiess Schwarz and Magic The Gathering, but not much Vanguard, not on the physical face to face plain at least. I am currently having a little online tournament with a group of fellow Dimension Police players and that is ongoing, but my focus in reality has moved away from "playing" vanguard currently and more towards "organising" it.

I won't be doing a sneak peak this week either as I will not be at HQ to participate. Besides which there's DP in set 7 so I'm dropping all plans for this set, even though I was going to upgrade my Extreme Battler deck  with this set but that got placed on the back burner the moment the G-BT-07 clans were confirmed, which I know you can't really do with this game, not with the market this game has...

Before I continue any further I have to preface the following by saying that I am speaking from my opinion and perspective only, nothing I say up ahead has any reflection on the opinions of the business or employer and I am lending my time and support to.

On to what this post is actually about. I've got that position I was working on, I'm am now volunteer organiser and head judge for Vanguard at a shop not all that far from me, and I've organised the shops first Vanguard event to take place on April 16th before the release of the Gold Paladin Start Deck and Overlord Blaze Legend Deck.
Being the first tournament for the LGS I'll start thing simple with Clan Fight  rules, however I'll be lending out Trial Deck grade decks from my own collection for interested parties to try the game before investing for themselves. This makes up the shop's current lack of stock and the difficulty to acquire the older Trial Decks as the national supplier, Esdevium Games doesn't have these in stock so we'll just have to build up stock by pre-ordering the stuff as it comes. Interestingly the Legend Deck is up for pre-order from the distributor, but the Gold Paladin Start Deck is not in their catalogue yet and that comes out a week earlier. That's frankly concerning.


It has been decided that the entry fee entry fee will be £4.50 with one pack per person and guaranteed prizes for all top 3 players (Unless there was only 3 to start with in which case only first and second will get bonuses, if this happens though then we failed. -_-) This is the model as agreed with between the business owner and myself.
£4.50 is an odd number and risky considering the closest competing store to us does the same events on Sunday's, every week for either £3 or for free depending on the week, but the free locals are offer only old promo packs for playing, however that's still a free card in the colle, while the £3 gives any promo pack/card and 1 booster pack, although I can't remember system for the additional prizing I think only first place gets any extra packs, am I not to be quoted on that though as I may be wrong. What I DO know is that a £3 entry doesn't allow for a strong prize pool, I ran the numbers and calculated cost/pack ratio when deciding on the pricing for the event I would be hosting.

Bottom line though is our event will be more expensive than our competitors events, but that higher entry allows for more generosity in prize support so it's a trade-off but one I believe worth having in place, and it's taking place on a different day so that allows for more chance for players to get to participate in Level 1 Organised Play.

I've played this game for long enough to be happy to take a step back from the front lines and help grow the next generation of players, and that's what this is about for me. It's not about any benefits that I may or may not get overtime. The benefit I care for most is immaterial and that's something called experience of operating in this role in this environment, beyond that this is me giving back to the community in the only way I know I can, by providing Organised Play, and hopefully more if this works out.

This does not affect my plans to go to Cardiff, if anything it may end up being a help as so long as my focus is closer to home I'm not spending as much money going to Birmingham and back. Although I have been called into to go to Birmingham some point in Easter for a group meeting. Attendance by all group members going Cardiff is mandatory to that meeting. It's our big plan meeting for travel, accommodation, and others.